Commission on Economic Inclusion
Created in December 2000, the Commission on Economic Inclusion, a program of the Greater Cleveland Partnership, is a broad-based coalition of more than 100 Northeast Ohio employers who are committed to making the region’s diversity a source of economic strength.
Our members, listed below, have a combined workforce of close to 200,000 individuals in Northeast Ohio and more than 575,000 employees throughout the U.S. The Commission serves as a catalyst for advancing economic inclusion in the Northeast Ohio business community. Our key objective is to achieve demonstrated successes that lead to positive, measurable outcomes including:
- Increases in board, senior management, workforce and supplier diversity among our members that include Northeast Ohio public-sector entities, private-sector companies and nonprofit organizations
- Increases in the total revenue, value, size, and number of employees for minority-owned businesses
Learn more about the Commission
E-mail Deborah Bridwell, deputy executive director of the Commission, or call (216) 592-2345.
Darryl Chajon, president and CEO of Trico Enterprises, acquired the company in 2012, which was founded in 1972 by Ivan Miller. Located in Millersburg, Ohio, in Holmes County, the sawmill equipment and supplies manufacturer company has a staff of 35 employees. Its primary product and services are green lumber, dimensional lumber, hardwood squares, newel posts and stair spindles.
Darryl's passion for the lumber industry began four years ago with the acquisition of a southern Ohio lumber company. Before acquiring Trico, he spent more than 15 years in operations management and has worked with several large companies including Tyson Foods, Boeing, Tyco Plastics, JLG, and Air Canada. A resident of Northeast Ohio, Darryl holds a bachelor's degree and an MBA from Cleveland State University.
Commission Connection: How did you decide to get into the lumber business?
Darryl Chajon: I entered the industry in 2009 through a previous employer and really loved the simplicity of the industry and the relationships I developed. It's the first industry that I felt comfortable in every aspect of business.
CC: What services has the MBDA Business Center Cleveland provided to your company?
DC: I've received assistance for access to capital, strategic business consulting, and global business development.
CC: What has been a significant challenge and how did you overcome it?
DC: Access to capital had been a significant challenge and was overcome by continued outreach to more contacts until I found a lending partner who believed in the opportunity and took a risk.
CC: What advice or lesson have you learned that you would share with other business owners?
DC: Don't stop trying. I had lenders continuously telling me that I couldn't get a deal done, but I just kept knocking on new doors until I found an interested and willing partner.
CC: What do you most enjoy about your work?
DC: Developing the people who work for me. There is so much undeveloped raw talent in our organization, and it is very satisfying to help someone develop their skills. I had some great mentors who helped develop me unselfishly, and I would like to continue to do the same thing with my employees who have unlocked potential.
- Akron Children's Hospital
- American Greetings Corporation
- Aultman Hospital
- Baker & Hostetler LLP
- Baldwin-Wallace College
- Beck Center for the Arts
- Benesch, Friedlander, Coplan and Aronoff, LLP
- Bonnie Speed Logistics™
- Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP
- Case Western Reserve University
- Cavaliers Holding, LLC
- City of Cleveland
- Cleveland Clinic
- Cleveland Foundation
- Cleveland Indians Baseball Club, Inc.
- Cleveland Institute of Art
- Cleveland Institute of Music
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District
- The Cleveland Museum of Art
- The Cleveland Play House
- Cleveland Public Library
- Cleveland State University
- Coleman Spohn Corporation
- Cuyahoga Community College
- Cuyahoga County
- Cuyahoga County Board of Developmental Disabilities
- Cuyahoga County Public Library
- Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority
- Developers Diversified Realty Corporation
- The Diversity Center of Northeast Ohio, Inc.
- Dix & Eaton, Inc.
- Dominion East Ohio
- Eaton Corporation
- EMH Regional Healthcare System
- Energizer Global Technology Center
- Ernst & Young LLP
- Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland
- Fifth Third Bank, Northeastern Ohio
- FirstEnergy Corp.
- First Merit Bank, Cleveland Region
- Forest City Enterprises, Inc.
- Frantz Ward L.L.P.
- Gilbane Building Company
- Great Lakes Science Center
- Great Lakes Theatre Festival
- Greater Cleveland Partnership
- Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
- The Albert M. Higley Construction Company
- Hiram College
- Huntington National Bank
- InfoCision Management Company
- Innogisticis LLC
- Invacare Corporation
- Jones Day
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Ohio
- Kent State University
- Lake Health
- Lakeland Community College
- The Lubrizol Corporation
- Marcus Thomas LLC
- Marous Brothers Construction
- Medical Mutual of Ohio
- Mercy Medical Center
- The MetroHealth System
- Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland
- Myers Industries, Inc.
- NASA John H. Glenn Research Center
- New Era Builders, Inc.
- Nordson Corporation
- Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District
- Olympic Steel, Inc.
- Ozanne Construction Co., Inc.
- Parker Hannifin Corporation
- The PNC Financial Services Group
- Porter Wright Morris & Arthur LLP
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, Inc.
- The Sherwin-Williams Company
- Spero-Smith Investment Advisors, Inc.
- Squire, Sanders & Dempsey L.L.P.
- Summa Health System
- Taft Stettinius & Hollister LLP
- Team NEO
- Thompson Hine LLP
- Time Warner Cable of Northeast Ohio
- TLC Springwater LLC
- Tucker Ellis & West LLP
- Turner Construction Co.
- Ulmer & Berne LLP
- United Church of Christ
- United Way of Greater Cleveland
- University Circle Inc.
- University Hospitals
- The University of Akron
- U.S. Bank
- Vertex Computer Systems
- Visiting Nurse Association
- Walsh University
- WEWS NewsChannel 5
- WVIZ/PBS and 90.3 WCPN ideastream
- YWCA of Greater Cleveland
Join This List