Stay Informed on News and Policy
Gain a competitve edge, win the talent war
More than 60 executives attended the GCP Middle-Market Talent Forum on Dec. 12, which focused on “Winning the Talent War: Strategies to Attract and Retain the Very Best People.” Our panelists provided insights and tactics to help mid-market companies gain a competitive edge in attracting and retaining top talent.
Some key takeaways from our speakers (left to right in the above photo) include:
Aaron Grossman, president, Alliance Solutions Group:
Steve Gravenkemper, leader, Talent and Organizational Development Practice, Plante Moran:
- Strong culture creates strong foundation for company growth. Know your company’s mission and vision statements and incorporate that into the recruitment/interview process.
- Recruiting is marketing. The way to do it well is social marketing. Alliance recommends leveraging LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter to grow your talent pool and learn more about prospective candidates.
Culture fit is the key to a successful hire, which is another reason for companies to live their mission and values.
Jody Wheaton, executive director, Client Solutions & Program Management, Corporate College at Cuyahoga Community College:
- Retention efforts begin with spending quality time with staff. Start with dialogue rather than waiting to convince a valuable employee, who’s considering leaving, of why they should stay.
- Incorporate succession planning into your strategic plan. Focus on range of key positions. Create individual action plans.
- Learning is a business investment: Training is most effective when learning is real world, creates behavioral change and can be directly applied to the job.
- Training isn’t always about teaching job skills. Front-line leaders most often fail due to lack of interpersonal and strategic skills.
Thanks to our sponsors: