Last week, the Ohio House of Representatives announced members for its newly created Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) and Military Affairs Taskforce.
The task force is one of several that Ohio House Speaker Cliff Rosenberger has called for to further examine key policy issues and provide recommendations for future legislative action.
The role of the BRAC and Military Affairs Taskforce will be to analyze Ohio's current federal Department of Defense and NASA assets, resources and missions in anticipation of potential BRAC actions by Congress. The task force also will consider other major mission realignment opportunities that the state’s federal and defense assets could capture.
The Greater Cleveland Partnership has a long history of supporting federal and defense assets in the region when the organization worked closely with congressional leaders to reverse a BRAC decision to close DFAS Cleveland and most recently with NASA Glenn to advocate for critical budget and future mission opportunities.
The GCP worked closely with the chair of the BRAC and Military Affairs Taskforce to nominate Representative Dave Greenspan (R-Westlake). Representative Greenspan previously served on Cuyahoga County Council and has a deep knowledge of the impact of NASA Glenn Research Center and DFAS Cleveland on Northeast Ohio.
The GCP will work with Rep. Greenspan and the task force to highlight the federal and defense assets in Northeast Ohio and advocate for their best interest. Members of the task force include:
- Cassie Barlow (Dayton), Director of Aerospace Professional Development, Southwestern Ohio Council for Higher Education
- Rep. Hearcel Craig (D-Columbus)
- Rep. Bob Cupp (R-Lima)
- James Dignan, President, Youngstown /Warren Regional Chamber
- Wendy Gramza, President, Toledo Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Richard Green (Mansfield), Legislative Director, National Guard Association
- Rep. Dave Greenspan (R-Westlake)
- Rep. Laura Lanese (R-Grove City)
- Rep. Rick Perales (R-Dayton), Chair
- Paul Sullivan (Columbus), Old Sullivan LLC, Defense and Space Senior Consultant
- Steve Tugend (Columbus), Director and Chair, Government Affairs, Kegler Brown
- Mike Wiehe (Dayton), Director, Wright State University Applied Policy Research Institute