The Greater Cleveland Partnership’s mission statement calls for the organization to mobilize the private sector to improve the economic vitality of the region. To do this, activities beyond the organization’s strategic priorities must be advanced.
Our Advocacy team is engaged in efforts to improve the Northeast Ohio business environment by supporting federal, state and local policies that streamline regulation and reduce taxes through these priorities:
- Balancing Business and Labor Issues: Our agenda includes working to support common-sense labor laws and regulations and opposing proposals that are inefficient and ineffective.
- Economic Inclusion: We’re working with elected officials to raise awareness of challenges faced by minority business enterprises (MBEs) and to support public policies that can help accelerate minority business growth and development.
- Energy: We encourage development of clean coal technology, but we also believe state policy must recognize that other energy technologies will be part of our future, including solar, wind and nuclear.
- Health Care: As permitted by the U.S. Supreme Court ruling on the Affordable Care Act (ACA), we support expanding Medicaid eligibility, which limits cost shifting from providers to commercial payers and mitigates employers’ risks of ACA penalties.
- Immigration: We recognize that the cultural and ethnic diversity of Northeast Ohio is an economic development strength for our region. Our long-standing position is that it is critical to establish federal immigration policy that facilitates the attraction of international talent and foreign investment to the U.S.
- Improving the Regulatory Climate: We're monitoring comprehensive regulatory reform legislation passed by the House of Representatives and will engage the GCP Government Affairs Council to develop policy positions.
- Tax Reform: GCP supports a comprehensive review of our tax code to create an environment that supports job creation, investment, innovation and global competitiveness.